Friday, June 5, 2009

Bayon or eternal faces






Bayon Temple is the spectacular central temple of the ancient city of Angkor Thom, which is located just to the north of Angkor Wat. Built around 1190 AD by King Jayavarman VII, Bayon is a Buddhist temple but it incorporates elements of Hindu cosmology.Bayon is known for its huge stone faces of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, with one facing outward and keeping watch at each compass point. So once I entered the temple and walked up the steps I felt to be watched. And I looked up and I saw the most kind and sweet face and then I saw it again and again and again.

And after a little while I saw the differences, some face were broken others had green lips or little cracks and wholes in their faces. But still the kindness they radiated gave me a peaceful and happy mood and I left with a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment