Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Angkor or how to approach a myth

I was soooo looking forward to see the temples of Angkor. I made it to one of the highlights of my journey and then I got stressed and confused: There are over 50 temples stretched out over 100 of squared kilometers. And the ticket I was going to buy was for 3 days. How should I manage all of this in just 3 days? Well, I did some meditation and then I just went with the flow. I got a book by a smart Italian scientist who knows a lot about the temple and the Khmer culture, and I got a tuktuk driver to drive me around.

I started very early in the morning, six o'clock and I had the first temple all for myself. It took me quite a while get an idea that this are not just old rocks lying around in the jungle but a track, a sign of civilization that is so hold and almost beyond my imagination. Moreover it is not my culture, it is not Christian "Abendland" I know but the wold of Hinduism, Sanskrit, India and Buddhism. So I needed some temples to warm up to it. After 10 temples in the first day I had an idea about the marvel, greatness and high culture that was alive for 5 centuries. And i loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment